Monday, January 31, 2005

BACK TO SCHOOL

Last night we finally had the chance to run our standard drummer (Rob Machold, PhD) through the board. This was the first REAL calibration, since it was a chance to record a drummer we've worked with dozens of times... if there's one thing we know, it's how Rob hits his drums.

They sounded great. The board has more punch, and the drums were ready to go without any EQ in Performer. George did some EQing on the drum mics themselves, mostly rolling out midrange (one of the tricks for recording drums-the mids ten to build up and smear each other). It was also Rob's first opportunity to try out the "new" live room, which offers far more space and better organization. In a few minutes were we ready to go, minus a couple of switches on the board farting out. I really need to pull the whole thing apart and clean every contact. Maybe today.

Rob seemed very happy with his drum sound, but he's always been happy with the sounds we've gotten. As for me, I certainly felt an improvement, in the sound as well as the overall workflow. I have to change a jumper in the master section of the console; right now the talkback system is routed to the group outputs, so any instructions to the performers are going to tape. Nice for slating, not so good when calling out cues as Rob played. Get out the screwdriver!

The ultimate irony is that in a week I'm starting a full time job as a print broker (anyone need anything printed?), just as Ted will have a month off. He'll be coming back off the road and I'll be going straight to a straight job. That leaves me 7 days to finish whatever major work I want to do at the studio. Why do I feel like it's back to school time?

8 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

Well it will certainly be back to school for me, I now have to figure out how the whole deal is routed. I suspect that it wll all make sense after an hour or two, it's a good thing we have the weekend though, I'd hate to walk in cold with nobody to point me in the right direction.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Tony Alva said...

A job!!! What the..!? You can't..!

Maybe you should call in sick Monday and fix those broken switches on the Soundcraft first. You don’t want to move into things too fast.

The downside of placing analog gear into the signal chain is pots, switches, patches, etc... fritzing out at the most inopportune moment. Major culprit, and at great risk of sounding fatherly like (Wait a minute, I am a father), smoke. Your board did a lot of time at the Limelight. Bet it accumulated some of that dreaded second hand smoke that everyone’s talking about these days.

My console also routes the talkback through the subgroups. What Einstein came up with that? I think I can avoid the subgroups for the talkback somehow, but I’m too lazy to crack the manual.

All kidding aside, good luck with the straight job thing. Fill us in on what a print broker does once you find out on Monday ;-)

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please tell me that Ace retains his place of honor in the "new" live room.

DC

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Indeed, if anything, Ace's spot is even more rock and roll. Alas, he gazes from behind a Marshall.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Let's not forget Jesus playing the ES 335. He will need as honorable a place on par with Ace's Buddha like alter.

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blasphemy!!!!

Everybody knows that Jesus plays an SG with Lindy Fralin handwound P-90s.

Most people don't know that he plays .13s, though.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

It is clear, however, that he prefers analogue.

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger asenetpro said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

This is a posting promoting music related info on my site code html music site/blog. It pretty much covers recording related stuff. my site is free for all to list their event post classified ad and to just post forum for hard to find info and many other thing music related. So if you are a dj, musician, producer, manager, engineer, artist, singer, dancer or have anything music related please visit my site and join to post all your info

Joining is free for all list your site plus more

code html music

 

Post a Comment

<< Home