Monday, June 27, 2005

UP WITH UPHOLSTERY

I do love fabric. I got an award in my 8th grade sewing class - I made a pillow that looked like a surfboard. No, this does not make me gay.

Ted and I put some snazzy fabric up in the live room at Smoke and Mirrors - finally covering the one ugly, nasty wall that hadn't been finished. George saw it and said "Exit Stage Left", I guess because it looks like the curtain on the front of everyone's favorite live Rush record. It really does make one side of the room look like a stage... add a stool, a glass of water, and the SM58 on a stand and Belzer could get up there and do five minutes.

The Acquiesce songs are still being mixed at Electric Lady - haven't heard anything yet. They are taking some time away from the studio to prepare for their live show at Bowery (July 7) and to do a few more gigs to raise some funds. Hopefully they will come back in soon - we've still got 9 more songs to do! I feel like we've streamlined the process with them a bit, so we should move a little more quickly.

Preparations for "Tedstock" and the Happy Boy reunion continue. Here's some ideas for a setlist - any thoughts?

Originals:
Sometimes the Dark
Visible
6am
Thumbnail Moon
Peace Chicken
Plastic Girl
Cruel
Princess Leia
Vegetable Man (really a Sex Circus Star song, but who's keeping track? Me.)
TV

Covers:
There She Goes Again (Velvets)
When Tomorrow Hits (Mudhoney via Spacemen 3, or is it the other way around?)
Halloween (Dream Syndicate)
Damage (Yo La Tengo)
Bela Lugosi's Dead (Bauhaus - this one's for Ken)
Fuzzy Wuzzy (Luna)
Rockin’ in the Free World (Neil Young)

I want to do a long, trippy set with some real dynamics - not the frantic, over in a blur, out of tune sets we did in the past. Ted and I have started practicing... what key was that in again?

8 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, as long as you have the trumpets.

-Ken

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have early demos of Jackson's Peace Chicken I think. If I can dig them out, I'll set them up so you can FTP them next week.

Look forward to hearing you guys play.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

I only say this in hopes that you quit the band, but Ken was initially critical our choice of Bauhaus tunes, I think we won him over with the trumpet.

Tony, i'd be interested in hearing that demo, though I'm sure it has many faults. I remember the session, Brian was indulgent, you were rather indignant. I think the word crap was used, and when we used to play it live I'd intro the song with: "A freind told me this song was crap, we're going to play it for you now." I always enjoyed that, and thought it witty, so I thank you. Back in the Coal Mine, when I was birthing it, the song had no hook, and I think it was originaly a C to F thing. It probably had all the earmarks of crap. I thank David Rosenberg, who wrote the G,F,E hook, and Paul Daly for the whooo hooos.

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I apologize if I ever called anything you wrote crap. Different time, different person.

I do remember the guitar part that I didn't like and it was a half step thing like A to A Flat under the verse. I do remember griping about it. I think I wanted to go get a drink at Benny's or something.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

I'm sure we made it to Benny's, no harm no foul, trying to get ideas past you only helped me develop the skills I'd need later in life dealing with Chris, now that guy's a hardass! He even makes me tune!

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

Paul came by, and on his iPod he's got Aliens, Gramma, Questioningly, and the old Plastic Girl.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger fred said...

pictures, i need some pictures!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

Get ye bloggin'.....post your shopping list, anything...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home