Tuesday, August 30, 2005

LOSS

I think it's a good time to reflect on some losses.

Big Cup, New York's "Best Gay Coffeehouse," is on the verge of closing. Like CBGB, it's a victim of rising rents; unlike CB's, Big Cup's employees are trying to take over the lease.

Big Cup is located in Chelsea, New York's "Best Gay Neighborhood," and serves some of the best gay coffee and gay baked goods around.

I first got to know Big Cup through my old friend Robbie, who was one of the first people I met when I moved to New York some 10 years ago. We both worked menial jobs at a talent agency, and it wasn't until several months after I met him that I realized he was gay. Apparently everyone else knew, but I was straight outta college (pun intended) and still more than a bit naive.

Anyhow, he became my Best Gay Friend, and he would bring in Rice Krispies Treats from Big Cup every once in a while. He was the one who told us it was the city's "Best Gay Coffeehouse," and he was right. I'd never had Gay Rice Krispies Treats that were nearly as good. It had something to do with the way the Gay Bakers got the mix of marshmallows, Rice Krispies, and butter just right, which we all know is vitally important.

Big Cup has become something of a cultural institution in the city, and place where gay coffee drinkers could hang out in an environment that was less about the meat markets that the gay singles bars represent. Now that it's in danger of disappearing, many patrons have come forward to talk about its comforting setting and great food, its wi-fi access and its patrons. I haven't had a Rice Krispies treat from Big Cup in 9 years or so, and seeing it mentioned in the paper brought me back to my first days in the city and reminded me of Robbie (who has since moved back to LA to pursue dreams far bigger and better than those offered in a talent agency).

So, big ups to Big Cup, and let's hope the employees save this Gay Landmark. We don't need another straight cell phone store or ambiguous Gap.

2 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

Save the Gay Coffee!

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Better at some things, like interior decorating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home