Thursday, August 25, 2005

QUITTING THE BAND, PART ONE

Last night we dusted off the old machine and tried cranking it up.

Yes, Happy Boy (at 80% strength) got together to run through the songs, reacquaint ourselves, and quit the band. All three things went well.

It felt pretty much exactly like the old Happy Boy, maybe a little bit tighter (we've gotten better, as individuals, I think). The arrangements were mostly remembered and it felt pretty familiar. As an extra bonus, we used headphones to monitor the vocals, which gave the proceedings a slightly detached feel, but allowed me to hear whether I was in tune. A big help.

I haven't even begun to put my guitar pedals back together in any kind of usable form - last night was straight into the amp. At the height of Happy Boy, my effects were generally:

1. ProCo Rat, first in line, for boost as much as for distortion. Graham Coxon from Blur had two of these, which is why I originally bought it, but now I'd buy it 'cause I love it.
2. Boss DD3 digital delay, used for straight up echoes and whacked out noises on "Visible"
3. Boss TR2 tremolo, mostly for the intro to "Peace Chicken" and some other tremoly moments. Sadly, seems to be out of commission right now.
4. Electro-harmonix Small Stone phaser, used sporadically when things need to get a bit swirly
5. a tuner. The most important effect ever made, it makes me sound in tune.

I'll be adding a volume pedal for the upcoming performance(s), and probably playing through either a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Bandmaster, if you care about such things.

It was fun to play with a band again. It's been a long time, but it's like riding a bike, only a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

8 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

....uh, ditto, mostly.

The headphone thing is great. Years of not being able to hear either you or me or whoever has had a terrible effect on my delivery, I'm so used to just belting it out and hoping it's not too bad. Now I have a chance to develop some good habits, and when we hit the stage at TEDSTOCK I'll at least have a fighting chance to sing decently.

As far as pedals go, I've been steadily phasing (all puns intended) them out altogether. This time I'm thinking: tuner, Muff, done.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Yeah, considering there'll be 3 guitars up there, I may also opt for a stripped down pedal setup.

I think all of the recording has helped us out immensely.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

The band lineup is:

Ted "Jackson" Wilson - guitar, vocals
Chris "Chrispy" Pace - guitar, vocals, (maybe synth?)
Paul "English Paul" Daly - bass
Rob "Guitar Switch" Kendall - guitar, bass (?), trumpet
Kory "DJ Kory" Smith - drums

Of course, once we all quit, the lineup will significantly reduced.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

It's my party and I'll quit when I want to...

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I quit!

Good job last night gents, I feel the magic comming back. Can't wait for a good fight.

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say the more pedals the better. Tey have to be on a pedal rack that comes out right before you go on. I remember seeing the many Ozzy Blizzard tour shows and you could tell when they were about to go on when the guitar tech brought out his big ass rack of pedals and started mashing them to test'em out. You have to include a little foot stand to pose on too.

Prepare the Nigel Tuffnel grimaces...

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Chrispy said...

My pedals, like my solos, are my trademark.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

While tring to remember lyrics, trying not to sing them too badly, trying to remember arrangements, and not playing them too badly, I can't remember to step on something as well, or un-step on it as the case may be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home