Thursday, September 22, 2005

WE WERE CHASTISED BY GEORGE FOR DOING THIS, BUT WHAT THE HELL

So yesterday I took a copy of "I Surrender All," the CD we helped record and mix for New Creation (the Georgia based Christian band), and put in in my CD walkman for a little critical listening on the subway. It's been about long enough since the record was completed to have cleared it out of my head, which of course is the best time to listen to it, and the subway is about the harshest environment to check a mix.

Over all, it still sounds pretty good. There are a few tracks that I skipped over, just because they didn't grab me in the first few seconds, but it sounds like a record. I can hear the work we put it.

One thing we had gone back and forth on a bit - and which always caused me to wonder if we'd a made a mistake - was the song "Breathe," which was supposed to be loaded up with reverb and echo. Listening on the subway it seemed like there was enough reverb, Joyce's voice sounded spacious, but then I got out to the studio and put it up on the speakers. It seemed pretty dry.

So, I did it. I opened up the project to poke around a bit. There is reverb, and a fair amount, but it just didn't have that "trail" that made it sound echoey, and Joyce's voice is big enough to fill the space the reverb was creating. So.... I started messing around.

Next thing I know, Ted and I are sitting there doing a "remix." Since we'd gone as far as we did, we kept going. And going.

The result will be posted to the Telecasting Podblaze very soon...

3 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must have been REALLY bored. Perhaps procrastinating from doing some solder day activities?

Did 'Us & Them' come out that bad? Mixing it up would seem to to be an excellent way to avoid firing up that solding iron ;>D

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

When Chris get's a bee in his bonnet, it's best to let him work it out. I suppose someday in the not too distant future 'Us and Them' will be the bee. Breathe is a much better song now. It's sad but the one thing that really helped, and I'd venture to say that it would be the case with a great many tunes from the record, was dropping the electric rhythm. It totally opened the song up.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't listened to it since forever, but I do remember that it sounded better as a piano driven track, like Lennon's 'Imagine'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home