Tuesday, September 20, 2005

WHAT'S THE STORY?

What do we want to do? Make records.

What is our motto? Make records.

What should we be doing? Making records.

This is the simplest way to put it. So what's the problem? Why aren't we able to at least pay the rent?

I guess the whole point of this post is to point out how I feel like, after all this time, we still haven't defined our goals or come up with a reasonable system for getting to where we want to be (which, for me, is getting up to go to work and having work be the studio). So today I'm thinking about simplifying. Back to basics.

1. I am tired of working to make other people money. At my "day job," our sales this year are up 139%, and I make around $10 an hour.

2. I have realized that I cannot force myself to be passionate about work I don't really care about. I spent a lot of time doing this, mostly as a student but also in the "real world." I don't want to act like I give a shit whether my boss makes $120,000 or $130,000 this year.

3. I don't have to be rich. If I can pay the bills, get something to eat (I don't eat much!) and avoid going further into debt, I'm OK.

4. music is the only thing I know I'll be doing for the rest of my life.

I used to say I didn't want to try to make a living off of music, because I was worried it would somehow get "corrupted." Now I worry that I'll spend my life dedicating hours and hours to stuff I don't care about.

8 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

I have gone to shows and handed out business cards, shook hands, and told folks how much I'd like to work with them. I have updated our Craig's List ad every two weeks. I podcast stuff we do out here. I don't know what else to do that won't cost us money we don't have.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

Yep. Got cash? I can't seem to get a line on the cool free website thing.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Well, I guess we've done all we can do.

Sorry I brought it up.

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can join more bands to bring in to record if you think it'll help.

-MikeDOT

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Actually, Mike, that would help a lot! If you could be in enough bands to book us 3 days a week we'd be golden. You've got the time, right?

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You dont need a cool free website. You need a FUNTIONAL website with your name, address, phone, rates, directions to the studio, bands that have recorded and an equipment list.
Also an email link. Preferably you should have a single sentence about how you are great recording for a little money -- something silly and mottoish.

here is a nearly free webhosting service:

www.webhero.com

Sure, it has ads, but it is something until you make the bucks to pay or a clean site.

The other option is to trade a few hours of recording time to a band and piggy back on their site.

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I am offering unsolicited advice, let me add, that you would probably do well to think creatively about marketing.

For example
(1) You were successful in recording one christian rock band. Pressure them to tell all their Christian friends. Post to christian web sites. Go to a some christian music festivals (you can wear a walkman) and push your services.

(2)Tell all the bands you are currently working with that for every band they send your way, they get a 10% finders fee, redeemable in recording time.

(3) Associate yourself with a club, and offer to record the bands for some fee. it is a great way to drum up biz...

you get the idea

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

See, this is all brilliant. You guys are the best.

Lots of great ideas, all completely relevant - and inexpensive.

Hey - let's start one of the offers right now! Recommend a band and get 10% of their total bill, payable in free studio time!

Write that solo record! Get it recorded for nothing!

Again, thanks all, and keep the good ideas coming. I swear I am gonna start implementing them all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home