Monday, October 17, 2005

DIY

Here's an idea that occurred to me late last week. I think it might work.

For our last couple of vocal sessions we've been using George's Telefunken preamps (with an Empirical Labs Distressor) to record vocals. The difference between these preamps and the ones in our rack and board (ART's in the rack, Soundcrafts in the board) is pretty big. It should be, since the Telefunkens are Beatles era and sound like, well, Telefunkens, which is to say REALLY good.

It occurred to Ted and I (not for the first time) that to really move to the next level we need to improve our preamps. At some level the mics, instruments, and mixing environment start to reveal the quality of the source, and we've reached that point. As much as I hate "gear snobs," listening to the difference between pre's in real recording sessions - and A/B'ing them, even as we rolled - was undeniable.

These days, channels of real high quality pre aren't cheap. Old Neve modules, Telefunkens, API, etc. command HIGH prices, and even the companies that are making identical circuits aren't selling them for cost.

So what are we to do? We could save our money, or we could... build our own.

Yes, the circuit topologies of the greatest preamps ever built have been thoroughly analyzed, and there are now preamp kits available for a fraction of the cost of a vintage Neve (or new Vintech). Of course, you have to know a LOT about soldering, wiring, and testing to actually put them together correctly and have them work up to spec (which is as good as the classic models).

This is where a network of audio-minded friends comes in, and this is my idea.

Ted has a friend named Steve Masucci, who is a musician, Moog Genius, electrical engineer, and all-around gear expert. Incidentally, his band The Lost Patrol will be performing at Tedstock. For someone like Steve, assembling one of these preamps (and getting it up to spec) is a few hours of work, considering that he's wired entire pro studios and built a fair amount of his own gear. His work is military spec and very good.

I proposed a little barter - ask Steve to assemble, in exchange for some tube gear we don't use, some recording time, house painting, and whatever else we can throw into the mix (so to speak). Steve seems into the idea, and I know his work will be good.

Here are a few preamp kits we've been looking at:

Hamptone JFET 2 channel pre

Hamptone Tube 2 channel pre

The Seventh Circle Audio N72, a Neve clone

Anyone know of any others we should be looking at? Anyone have opinions on JFET vs. Tubes? Would anyone like to loan us the money to buy the kits? (we'll pay you back, or, if you prefer ... more barter!)

Trust me, you'll hear the difference.

13 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

I'd rather just sell pot, or pimp some bitches....

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

I guess it's not so much the building of the preamp that worries me (although I have a LONG way to go before I consider my soldering skills adequate), but having the correct equipment to test it and get it to spec. I feel like we could do a good portion of the work, but we don't have a variac or much experience with things like voltmeters...

It also seemed like a good way to do a bit of networking and get to work with Steve.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Just a thought - I was wondering if that was Tim from Seventh Circle who commented up there...

If so, cool!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

I'd love to help, but I am still smarting from the tongue lashing my guitar repairman gave me when he saw the soldering job I did to install P-90s on my SG.

ouch!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Jackson said...

Well if it is Tim from Seventh Circle of course he's gonna say it's easy, he wants us to buy his stuff...

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

that's cynical!

I think that, apart from my soldering and testing skills/gear, I could do a fair amount of work putting these together,,,

I'm leaning toward the hamptones, though, purely because I think we can afford them,

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

Cynical I might be, but I'd rather have it done right, as you agree, and to suggest anyone can do it seems a bit smug to me.....

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

I agree that it should be done right.... hence, Mr. Masucci.

I think we could do a fair amount of the "preprod" work.

So, Hamptone, 2 channel JFET, $549 including everything? For 2 channels of the "Neve" we're looking at more like $1100. For an extra $150 or so we could get 2 channels of tubes on the Hamptone. I've read lots of positive things about the JFET but not so much about the tube version. According to the designer, Scott (also a Tape Op contributor), the JFET experiences more distortion at higher gain levels, while they both sound pretty much identical at normal gain.

Maybe if we get more comfortable with building, we do the Neve later, just one channel, and we build the enclosure. More like $500.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

I'm not following you....I think, in the end, we need two channels so we can run our overheads thru.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Yes, that's what I think.

So maybe we start with the Hampton (which is 2 channls) and someday later get the Neve.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

We can make a stencil and paint the NEVE logo on it, and everything else...

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

I know a real Sorny or Magnetbox when I see one.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

After all this, I'm where I've always been. Let's do one or two with Steve, and then we'll be in a position to comfotably build the robots that George has prophesized about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home