Tuesday, July 25, 2006

PROCRASTINATION NATION

Whilst packing this past Saturday, I tried (unsuccessfully) to get my old Silverface Deluxe Reverb working. It needs to go to "The Shop".

The Silverface came from Lawrence, Kansas, in the mail, about 7 or 8 years ago. It's the best sounding amp I've ever owned (or, indeed ever played) and soon it will be back in working order, at which time all will be right with the world.

I also own a '65 Blackface Deluxe Reverb Reissue, which isn't quite as good. I've always felt there was something a little wonky about it so I don't use it much. But Saturday I was in a Deluxe Reverb mood so I put its tubes back in and cranked it up. Tremolo (incorrectly called "Vibrato" on Fender amps) is the Greatest Guitar Effect Ever, no question, no debate.

I tremoloed for a while and starting doing a simple little progression over and over. Of course I asked Ted to record it. We figured out the tempo I was tremming at, got about a minute of the riff, and made a 16 bar loop. Within another half hour or so we had a few drum loops to match... recorded with the 2 overhead mics and EQ'ed just so.

The rest went really quickly - by far the most rewarding way to write and record, for me. Sometimes Ted and I get into this kind of zone and just hold on for dear life.

Last night I finished the lyrics and vocals and put on a guitar solo (the old blonde Tele - this recording is the wonky gear special). Today I did a quick mix.

Played it for George who said "It's awesome. Now get all this shit packed up!"

You can download an m4a from the link below thanks Mike!). If you can't play an m4a (aka an AAC) then, well, you should join us in the 21st Century.

Enjoy!



Let Go

3 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger Jackson said...

Nice work. Is this what you might call the 'fetal mix'?

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger stinkrock said...

Fun little song. and it sounds *great*.

So what's the difference between vibrato and tremolo?

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Vibrato is a changed in pitch, whereas tremolo is a change in volume. For some reason Leo Fender reversed the names...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home