Tuesday, April 05, 2005

MORE LOVE, MORE POWER, MORE SONGS

We've loaded all of the tunes for the Lifeteen Christian album.

The recordings from our 2nd trip to Atlanta sound much better than those from the first trip - I guess we all got a little more comfortable (us and the band) and you can really hear it. The only problem is some reverb that was recorded on the kick drum track - the reverb from the scratch vocals and the snare. This is why I rarely use reverb while tracking, especially when you're recording 10 or 12 tracks at a time; there's already too much opportunity to misroute stuff even without throwing in the reverb.

But I'd rather light a candle than curse the darkness, so I pulled out my old friend the expander (aka gate) and sucked that reverb up like ballbearings into a shop vac. This, by the way, is the only use of gates that George Vitray approves of (solving problems, not sucking up ball bearings). I won't tell him there are a few other gates here and there. What he doesn't know but can hear can't hurt him.

So I've done rough mixes of 9 tunes, and they're pretty good, particularly those from the second day ("Breathe" is particularly affecting). I've started bringing up reverbs and whatnot - again, wait to use that reverb! It's very very difficult to get an accurate sense of EQ changes in a reverberant space, so no reverb until you're pretty sure of your EQ's. Not nearly as much reamping required as I originally expected, but about as much editing. I'm fixing the ins and outs of everything, tightening up the band, rewriting parts... well, no rewriting. But sometimes you have to put on your guitar player hat and figure out what he MEANT to do.

Fortunately, we have several of those hats.

2 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

I added cowbell tracks to all the songs, stereo cowbell tracks.....

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jackson you bastard! I was going to play the cowbell card and you outdrew me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home