Monday, August 15, 2005

BRAIN SHIVERS

In the interest of having something to talk about, today I decided to talk about my brain.

My brain has been with me since the beginning, and for a long time it worked pretty well. I was able to remember a lot of stuff, and I did well in school. My body wasn't so great - I was in and out of the hospital a few times as a kid for some kind of auto-immune syndrome whose name I cannot remember - and I used to get sick a fair amount (still do).

Around the age of 16 a switch was thrown in my neurotransmitters, and something changed. It's funny, I can remember it happening very vividly, it only took a day or two, and I went from feeling really optimistic to really dark. At first it just seemed like a bad mood, but it didn't change back. I knew something was happening, but I had no idea what, nor did I really care. At that point things stopped having any real, deep meaning (except for music). I was in too bad a mood to think about why I was in such a bad mood. The days went on...

So I finished high school (exhausted and depressed) and did my four years of college, mostly in a deep dark funk. There would be flashes of the old me, but they faded pretty quickly. They might last the length of my walk home from class on a Friday, feeling like everything was OK, until I got to my dorm, then... gone.

I always blamed something on the outside. In high school, it was high school. In college, it was college. At my first job... well you get the picture. I also blamed family, friends, coworkers, girlfriends, complete strangers, everything. I was constantly trying to alter my environment, thinking that one more change would fix it. A promotion - nope. Becoming a TV producer on a big old successful TV show - nope. Finally making good money - nope.

I hit bottom during the winter of 2000. At my worst, I was lying on the floor on my old apartment, curled up in a ball, shaking and sobbing, ready to just drift off. I don't think I had the energy to kill myself.

Well, a friend got me into therapy, and my therapist got me to a psychiatrist. After a few sessions he diagnosed me as suffering from dysthymia, essentially a low level, continuous form of depression, as well as anxiety disorder. He prescribed Effexor (the brand name of Venlafaxine, made by Wyeth), a relatively new anti-depressant. I started it, and after the initial day or so of feeling totally stoned (and not in a good way) my brain adjusted and everything changed.

I felt like my old self (this is a pretty common description for depressed people who start medication). I felt like a huge weight had been taken from my shoulders. I honestly think my therapist, doctor, and Effexor saved my life.

This is all well and good, until you miss a dose...

Missing a dose of any anti-depressant is bad, but Effexor is particularly bad (there's a class action lawsuit pending). Missing just one dose can be almost debilitating. One of the side effects of a missed dose is a kind of electrical shock that flows through your head - also known as a "Brain Shiver." It's hard to describe, but it's very disorienting, as if your brain is a second behind the rest of you. If you move your head quickly you feel you eyes and brain sloshing along behind, trying to catch up.

I once went to Toronto for 3 days and forgot my medication. The wonderful people in Canadian public health would not accept an order from my US based doctor, so I would have had to go to a walk in clinic and wait approx. 6-8 hours to talk to a doctor. As I was working, it wasn't really an option. Somehow I got through it, although I slept very little and was pretty incoherent by the time I got home.

Last summer I tried to quit "cold turkey." Not recommended. The withdrawal continued to get worse (as it often does before it gets better). I was shaking, unable to sleep, unable to eat, and in the blackest, ugliest mood I have ever seen from myself or anyone else (truly a scary thought). It was then that I did a bunch of research on Effexor and first heard the term "Brain Shivers." Somehow I thought reading about others' experiences with getting off this drug would help, but it didn't. After 5 days I went back to my doctor. And here I am.

Anyhow, this is a lot of heavy shit, so I'll stop. But now you know what the name means!

4 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Yes indeed, I am back on it.

Wyeth has advised that there are some withdrawal cases that are so bad that permanent use is the only solution.

Note that my (former) doctor did not advise me as to the withdrawal effects. Nor did any piece of literature from Wyeth. Just the standard "Do not discontinue use without checking with your doctor."

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

So much of 1999 into 2001 makes sense now. I've had Brain Shivers of my own, I think. I remember a number of instances when I was withdrawing from dope that seem very similar. One time I blacked out during a brian sloshing episode and fell and nearly broke my skull open. I had never lost control of my body before. It was very scary. What was worse, was withdrawal from methadone, which was much like you felt just prior to going on Effexor. It lasted 40 days, and I swear I never really slept. I ended up relapsing back to dope, and kicked that cold (with help from coke and ludes). There's something very psychadelic about withdrawal, but it's a bad trip.

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,

Great post. I have family members that have/are being treated with the very same meds (depression runs in my family). The meds are a hard thing deal with day in/out. You're a tough mother fucker to be sure.

I'd hate to be around if you went off Bud.

TA

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Chrispy said...

It was definitely psychedelic, in a really bad way. I didn't black out, but I could see how it could easily happen. I certainly lost my balance more than once.

When I first went on these puppies I stopped drinking or smoking for about 4 months. I felt great and my mind was super clear. No withdrawal there.

Even better, I had 1 Bud after 4 months and was like "Whooaahhh! Cooooollll! I'm King of the World!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home