Friday, January 20, 2006

WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE SNAKES?

I was originally going to post this as a comment to the entry below, but I decided it was worth it's own post.

My freshman year in college I shared a suite with a herpetologist.

You know what that means.

There were 2 ball pythons, a black snake, and some kind of giant poisonous frog that never moved (except to swallow chicken from the dining hall) sharing the suite with us. The pythons took baths in the tub (that's a creepy thing to watch).

They pretty just ate mice from the mall pet store. At some point - I think it was sophomore year - one of the pythons stopped eating, and my friend was reduced to force feeding it dead mice lubed up with KY.

Also creepy.

That same year, one of the pythons made a break for it and was MIA in Cascadilla Hall for a few weeks. It turned up in a student lounge.

By senior year the guy was living off campus (thank God) with a monitor lizard (what was called a "Komodo Dragon" in the movie "The Freshman") that was last seen roaming the streets of Ithaca (there were calls to the police about an "alligator" heading for Lake Cayuga).

This guy once smuggled some baby snakes hidden in a pillowcase on a flight from Florida to Ithaca.

All true.

Anyhow, it's better than living with an entomologist. I knew one who kept a hidden stash of hissing cockroaches in his room. His apartmentmates never found out...

8 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger Jackson said...

Sounds to me like Ithaca was populated by whistling reptile raising geeks. Did anybody cool go to Cornell?

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

No.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Just me.

Ithaca itself is more weird than geeky.

Cornell is HEAVILY geeky. But hey, that's the whole point.

Out of the six people I shared a suite with Freshman year, three graduated first in their class in high school.

That's geeky.

Let's see. We've had no US Presidents. Probably a good thing; Cornellians are too smart to want this job.

Some geeky alum:
Janet Reno - geeky and freaky
Kurt Vonnegut - geeky, but I would argue cool
Ruth Bader Ginsberg - HUGE geek
Paul Wolfowitz - you'll just have to do some research
Sandy Berger - geek geek geek
Stephen Hadley - evil geek

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

Sounds like Ken would have done well at Cornell.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

I was scared to death of snakes until I met those Ball Pythons.

They were very friendly and chill. I got used to holding them, and they were very polite.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

Nice "Raiders of the Lost Ark" reference, by the way.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Mike Lewis said...

Rattle Snake tastes just like chicken. A chicken with no legs or wings or feathers.

Very tasty.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

It is true, my feet are nuclear. It has been the most pfolific gift that I have been able to give to mankind. Please enjoy.

It is notable that Chris has an impared sense of smell. I think a key element in any equation for a successful partnership is compatibility, even if it's random in nature, and here I am stinking up the studio with curry farts and he doesn't even know.

I leave the room when we have clients.

Hue,

I told you that you were the recipe. Snake - chicken; completely interchangeable in cooking. DNA almost identicle.

I've had snake on a few occasions. The first time was the most memorable. At a Boyscout Jamboree (that's right folks, Jackson was a boy scout) we grilled a snake on a campfire. It was delicious. Tender.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home