Monday, April 10, 2006

IN THE STUDIO WITH TONY... AND A C1?

You all know I'm a big Dean Wareham fan. I'm also a big fan of the music he and Britta Phillips have been making with Tony Visconti.

Well, they've started work on a second record. Here's a picture of Tony, Dean, Britta, and drummer Matt Johnson in Tony's studio (this and the next photo taken from www.deanandbritta.com):


Here's another picture, this one of Dean doing vocals:


Wait a minute! The shape of that mic is familiar...

Could Tony be using a Studio Projects C1? Or the same mic, manufactured by 797 Audio in China, and sold under any one of a number of other names? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. It's a good mic, and Tony's been known to use a variety of both expensive and inexpensive gear over the years.

Tony and I have similar taste in gear (there are 2 C1's at Smoke and Mirrors). He's also a fan of the ART stuff (panned by everyone except knowledgable recording engineers and producers). And his records sound amazing.

2 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

You definitely steered me right on the mic choice. Thanks for a great call.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

I'd love to work with Tony, but I don't think I'd get much done...


Ted: Tony, how fucked up was Phil Lynott during the Bad Reputation sessions?

Tony: I'm not sure hwt you mean.

Ted: How about Marc Bolan, was queer or what?

Tony: Uh...I Uh..

Ted: How about Bowie, pain in the ass?

....he'd toss me out before too long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home