Friday, May 12, 2006

NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT

I've spent some time this week doing my two most favorite things - mixing and cleaning. Now that the 5 song Strikes Again! demo is finished (please check the overhead bins for your personal belongings and thanks for flying with Smoke and Mirrors) I've turned my obsessive-compulsive side to Ted's Record and a track by Nadine Miller called "Scientific True Love" (one of my favorite songs of all time).

So I've got the mixing covered. Nadine comes in for two nights next week to do some more work on this and some other tunes, and Ted continues to work on The Ted Record, which I am not producing. Well, maybe a little bit.

I also pulled apart a big section of the studio and did some substantial cleaning and rewiring. Basically, the cabling behind the rack and between the rack and the mixer and the rest of the studio was a disaster, an unholy jumble of audio and electric wires, USB and MIDI cables, and God knows what else. I finally got down and dirty and unplugged massive amounts of shit (it's amazing how many extra cables you end up finding that way), re-ran the audio and electric (so as to minimize any interaction between the two), and bundled that shit up. So much cleaner, and it should sound better too.

Honest work like this makes me feel good.

3 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Blogger Mike Lewis said...

Still waiting for that podcast...

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Tony Alva said...

I LOVE cleaning up studios!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

Okay, since you did such a great job of rewiring the studio, I'll give you the Producer credit you crave so dearly - and what's not to crave? We're only talking about the 'record of our decade'.

I couldn't do it without you, at least not nearly as well at any rate, but let's remember the 'vision', which is 'simple mixes'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home