Wednesday, May 03, 2006

WHOAH

Do you like to fly?

Here's something you might enjoy - some pictures of and comments on the old Hong Kong airport.

You'd approach by flying through downtown... that's right, through downtown. From the hi rise buildings people would look down on the jets as they approached.

Scroll to the bottom to see the actual pictures, or take a look here.

The airport's been closed since 1998; I flew into the new, much less frightening airport. Ah, well. You can't have it all.

4 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger Dave Cavalier said...

Yup. Hong Kong is legendary. There are thousands of photos of approaches and landings gone wrong on aviation web sites.

I can't believe the crabs those huge jets have on. The winds must have been insane.

I also cannot believe that the ILS doesn't take you to the runway! That's the whole POINT of a glideslope.

Yikes!

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Tony Alva said...

Thanks for giving me the willies for the rest of the day.

The only thing worse than having to land at this airport would be to hear this coming over the loud speaker, "Hello, this is your Capt. Misanthrope from the cockpit. We'll be landing at the old Hong Kong airport in just a few minutes.... Damn! where did that Genesis tape go? I think it slipped under the seat. Let me see if I can fish for it here... I can't land the plane without my Genesis tape playing..." :-)

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Mike Lewis said...

I just showed this page to my boss, he remembers landing there. Said it was VERY scary.

cool pictures.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

Looks like fun to me.

Tony, one word, diazapam.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home