Wednesday, November 03, 2004

THE FAT LADY WARMS UP, PART TWO

Record voter turnout is great. The fact that millions of first timers voted is great. But I wonder if people haved missed the point with the whole "This is the most important election of our lifetime" thing.

Maybe, just maybe, the LAST election was the most important of our lifetimes. After all, that's the one where GW Bush got elected in the first place. The war in Iraq is already happening, and wouldn't have ended today if Kerry had won. International support for the US has eroded and will take years to rebuild; a victory for Kerry wouldn't have changed this overnight, either. Where was everybody four years ago?

I'm happy people are more involved in their political process. I just pray that, next time, we'll break the records again.

Otherwise, it's just been a fad, which is a bit scary.

1 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

I'm the guiltiest offender on that account. Where was I four years ago indeed. I'll tell you, Bruxelles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home