Monday, July 25, 2005

THE GREATEST, PART THREE

The greatest guitar ever, don't even get me started, is the Fender Telecaster. There is simply nothing even close, no argument, no discussion necessary, talk to the hand.

The Tele (as it's also known, just one if the reasons it's the best) was the first mass produced electric, and has been selling virtually unchanged for nearly 60 years. 60 years! That's a long time, and teles are great. Leo Fender got it right the first time.

Keith Richards has played some Teles, as has David Gilmour. Gilmour also owns some Esquires, essentially single pickup Teles, which is yet another vote in their favor. He also owns at least one Broadcaster, the original name of the Tele, which was changed when Gretsch reminded Fender that the name "Broadkaster" was being used for one of their drum kits. Gilmour doesn't own any "Broadkaster" drum kits (as far as I know), but he did use a Tele on the rhythm track for "Run Like Hell," so there you go.

The Tele is nice and light, much easier to hold for a while than a Les Paul. But it's a good solid piece of wood that could definitely hurt someone if swung, yet another reason it rules. I never feel unsafe when I've got my Tele. Go ahead, give me shit, I'll whack yah with it and it won't even go out of tune.

There's a suprising amount of tonal variation possible with a Tele. I feel like I can a much wider variety out of a good Tele than even a good Strat, which seems counterintuitive, since it's got one less pickup. But hey, sue me, it's how I feel. Teles are the best, as good as all git out, the bees knees (see "Bees" below).

They were designed for mass production, a great early example of this in action. The necks were built to be easy to replace, everything was modular. These are "workin' man's" guitars, and they KICK BUTT.

A blonde tele with some grain showing, a maple neck, and a black pickguard is a thing of beauty. The more used, the more "careworn," the more gorgeous.

Tele's didn't originally come with whammy bars, 'cause they didn't need them to be cool.

Tele's were (some still are) shipped with bridge covers, commonly called "ashtrays," because they were often removed and used as, well, ashtrays. Any guitar that comes with an ashtray is The Best Guitar Ever. Did your BC Rich come with an ashtray? Hells no. The Tele includes an ashtray! Think about it.

"Telecasting" is the name of this blog.

Finally, the Tele is smarter than the average guitar.

12 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Perhaps you didn't read all of my post. The Telecaster is the Greatest Guitar In The History Of This And All Universes. I thought I made that very clear.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

Yeah, Ken. Reading comprehension, get it. If you put a tele through the same marshall treatment, you'll like it fine.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Clearly Jackson understands. Repeat after me, "The Telecaster Is The Guitar Equivalent of the Supreme Being, Now And Forever, And We Are Not Worthy To Even Gaze In Its Direction, Although We Will So We Can Behold Its Beauty." Can I get an Amen?

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Wait a minute, isn't Hazmat a bassist? We'll forgive you your trespass, this time. But you will learn to love the Tele, oh yes, you will learn...

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Your heart is a blackened coal.

The lefty "Tele" in the studio is a knockoff, but that's OK.

I think it's probably easier to find a lefty Tele than a Paul, since it's the Most Fabulous Axe Ever Produced By The Hand Of Man.

Not that I don't like Les Pauls, I do, I'd love to own one with a nice honeyburst finish. But it ain't no Tele.

BTW, have you seen Les play at the Iridium?

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

I've seen him twice, but not for about 4 years. He was great. Very arthritic, but could still really play. He's a great showman, very funny, and he'll sign your Les Paul if you bring it.

I don't know if he'll sign a Tele.

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lefty Tele at S&M is NOT to be compared to what is in fact, the greatest guitar EVER, the Fender Telecaster. I have both a Les Paul and a couple of Tele's and the Tele's are what gets grabbed off the wall most often for all the reasons Chris states. In fact I'm so embarrassed about that S&M lefty Tele being such an unworthy representative, I'm looking for a Fender Tele neck to send up there and have installed before others mistakenly believe it is acceptable for comparative analysis to others.

I’m sure Jackson has mentioned this to you, but there exists a most excellent video clip of a Tele being used as a weapon in the hands of none other than Keith Richards himself. I’ll see if I can’t find it somewhere, but I remember it was on the Rolling Stones Video Rewind tape. Some assuredly drunken fan rushes the stage and is heading for Mick when with his ever present cigarette dangling from his mouth and in mid strum, he takes his Tele off and fucking clobbers this dude right squarely in the melon. As the dude collapses like a cheap folding chair with Rosie O’Donnell standing on it, Keith throws the Tele back over his shoulder and goes on playing. Drunken fan neutralized, Tele still in tune, long ash still on cigarette, Keith still rockin.

If it had been a Les Paul, it’d have probably been a pile of splinters, or at the least in need of tuning.

I waited 17 years for a chance to own my very own 62 Tele (I’m lefty and available models in reasonable part of the price atmosphere are extremely rare), but finally broke down and dropped big coin on my American made blonde beauty. After my wife, daughter, and cat, that guitar would be the one that would be next out the door if my house caught fire, and if the cat wakes me up in the middle of the night one more time, she may get bumped in the batting order for the Tele.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

I've heard about the Richards clip, not at all surprising that it stayed in tune. Seriously, the thing is a nice hunk o' wood.

Tony Alva's blonde, American made Tele is truly a beauty. Fender really nailed this reissue, down to the ashtray (I think they might also offer an alternate wiring scheme to wire the pickups in the original fashion). The finishes on these guitars are pure butter, as in butterscotch blonde. They play great, sound great, and I'm sure Tony wouldn't be scared to swing 'em at drunk fans either.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

I'd really like to watch this Geddy Lee clip, but my piece of shit computer (Windows XT) will not make any sound. None at all. I've tried everything, can't even get it to beep.

Piece of crap. Definitely not a Fender.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

Ken loves the Les Paul, but isn't he the guy who bought a Danelectro bass (which is actually a nice guitar)because his Fender Jazz was too heavy? What would you DO with a Les Paul Ken? It would crush you.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Yes, lightness in the guitar department is a good thing. Hence the Telecaster being the supreme example of the solid body electric.

You know, when the first Teles and Broadcasters were built by Leo and Doc, they couldn't give 'em away. Music store owners called it the "Snow Shovel." If you had one of those late 40's/early 50's babies now... well, I guess you'd be David Gilmour. You'd at least be rich.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Chrispy said...

There are no absolute weights for these guitars, since they've all been made from a variety of materials.

From what I've been able to find, approximate weights are:

Telecaster - 7.4lbs ('57 tele)
Stratocaster - 8.2lbs
Les Paul - 8.8lbs ('60 custom)
SG - 7.3lbs (custom shop 10th Anniversary SG)

Who woulda thought the SG would be the lightest?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home