Wednesday, July 27, 2005

THE GREATEST, PART FOUR

The Greatest Pop song ever released in 1996, don't even start with me, I don't want to hear your crap 'cause it's the best, is clearly "Radiation Vibe" by Fountains of Wayne.

From their self titled debut album (also containing the hit "Sink to the Bottom"), "Radiation Vibe" is such a perfect piece of pop construction that it makes me want to scream. Every time I hear it I want to listen to it again, and often I do listen to it again, and again, and get up and jump around playing air guitar (when the chorus comes in, of course). I don't play much air guitar. It's that good.

The slow groove of the verse, with the kick drum on every beat, exploding into the choruses - freakin' perfect. The melodies are beyond catchy, they are part of the collective subconcious. The lyrics, too, are great, although they don't have to be...

"Are you alone now
Did you lose the monkey?
He gave you backaches
Now you slouch.

He didn't mean it-
He's just a dumb ape
Reading Playboy
On your couch.

And now it's time to say
What I forgot to say
Baby baby baby
Come on, what's wrong?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Don't it make you want to get some sun?
Shine on, shine on, shine on...

I went to Pittsburgh
And joined a pro team
Talk about a bad dream
I broke a knee

But I can still croon
And make the girls swoon
Isn't that the way life's
Supposed to be?

But now it's time to say
What I forgot to say
Baby baby baby
Come on, what's wrong?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin on
Don't it make you want to get some sun?
Shine on, shine on, shine on..."

If there's a better pop song released in 1996 then I want to hear it. Seriously, this thing is a work of art. To be able to write a song like "Radiation Vibe" - that would be cool.

7 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

I have actually never met Steve, although I've heard a lot about him, and seen one of his synthesizers on the cover of "Tape Op," the greatest magazine ever (but that's another post).

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if I've ever heard Radiation Vibe, but will certainly have a listen now that you've laid down such an outragous claim.

Without reading your Greatest Magazine blog entry I would certainly endorse TapeOp for that dubious title. Always a staple in the Alva potty room (note: I have a 3 year old so I'm permitted to use the term potty without heaps of mockage inflicted on me).

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

You should get her the video "It's Potty Time" - or get it for her (ostensibly) but watch it yourself. There's some great songs, including "I'm A Super Duper Pooper," the greatest song about pooping ever written.

This is not a joke.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Jackson said...

Was there another pop song released in 1996? That's one hell of a fog I gotta dig through to remember those days. Wasn't everybody still worshiping Jagged Little Pill in 96? Maybe Fountains Of Wayne will record an acoustic version of their debut as well, or maybe they haven't run out of material yet.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

Let's see..... 1996..... hmmmm.

Very few memories remain.

Wait... coming back to me....

Yes, "Jagged Li'l Pill" was huge, "Ironic" was very big. Also out that year - "Champagne Supernova" by Oasis, "Where It's At" by Beck, "Spiderwebs" and "Don't Speak" by No Doubt, "Love Is (What I Got)" by Sublime, "Stupid Girl" by Garbage, "Tonight Tonight" by Smashing Pumpkins. Oh, of course, there was also "Macarena."

Pure drivel. Listen to "Radiation Vibe."

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Close! It's 'Tired of Sex' by Weezer.

Can 'Super Duper Pooper' be added to the next s&m podcast? I, uh, know a 3-year old who needs to hear this song immediately.

Mike

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Chrispy said...

I'll have to search "Super Duper Pooper" out. Anything for that special, ahem, 3 year old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home